8 Reasons Why I Plan to Homeschool Even After the Pandemic

I have been home tutoring my daughter since her school closed mid March and have decided to continue tutoring her myself even though schools eventually reopen. She is thriving in our current setup and I know her best bet is to continue.

Here are eight reasons I've decided to continue homeschooling now that the pandemic is finally over:

1. I can provide individual attention that a classroom teacher never could

Homeschooling my child means they receive individual attention throughout the school day. When I was teaching elementary school, I often had classes with over 30 little learners, all of whom needed my attention. When I had smaller classes, about half the size, there was a noticeable difference in my children's progress and in the quality of the relationships I developed with each child.

The students in my larger classes spent more time waiting for my help or staring into space when they were done, and my discipline had to be stricter. I know this difference is because there were fewer students to teach and connect with. Now imagine how much more I can give to just one child. Even if I had more children in different grade levels, I could help each child with a manageable number that much more.

2. I can follow their interests

Homeschooling my daughter allows her to learn more about what is truly important to her. For example, she is fascinated by volcanoes, the tropical rainforest and ancient Egypt. I don't have to wait for the norms to dictate that it's time for them to address these issues. Instead, I have the ability to seize the moment and dive deep into subjects that ignite her passion.

Although my daughter may be interested in these subjects, they are certainly not my area of ​​expertise, which is why I subscribe to Study.com. I use Study.com not only to find engaging and creative lessons on the subjects my daughter loves, but also to guide the overall curriculum of my homeschooling plan. Study.com offers complete academic curricula for grades 3-12 and beyond with over 79,000 lessons tailored to your child's learning style with videos, transcripts, and flashcards.

Many parents are nervous about homeschooling because they feel they are not smart enough and have trouble knowing how to get started. Study.com helps take the guesswork and worry out of homeschooling. They offer instruction in every subject imaginable, including math, science, history, reading and more, and make it easy to create a well-rounded educational experience. You can also access on-demand help from expert instructors if you need a quick answer to a question or assistance in any subject.

And if you're like me and your child has very specific interests, they even have the option to create their own courses, compiling specific videos and lessons for a personalized learning experience.

3. I can meet her where she is

The best homeschool curriculum is one that meets both your child's educational needs and interests. As her home teacher, I can nurture her interests and skills by continuing to work on improving her reading skills. When it comes to her weaknesses, I can procrastinate on things she just isn't developmentally ready for, or conversely, address her problem areas and hone those skills.

Study.com offers lessons designed to accommodate multiple learning styles. If your child learns more visually or auditory, you can choose from over 27,000 videos to enhance your lessons. If your child is more of a kinesthetic learner, each video lesson has a transcript that can be printed for your child to read and engage with.

Online classes like Study.com can provide flexible, customizable coursework for all learning styles and educational goals. This type of academic adjustment is nearly impossible in the traditional classroom, where the teacher must rely on her curriculum while accommodating the needs of a diverse group of students.

4. I can spend more time with my child

While the on-the-spot accommodation sometimes overwhelms me with the amount of time I spend with my daughter (read: 24/7), I have to admit that I really enjoy her company. Before the pandemic, I really missed her taking her to school. As it grows, going to school will separate us more and more hours each day. Homeschooling would give me more time to spend with her and watch her grow.

Of course, homeschooling isn't just about messing around. Structure and discipline come into play and sometimes dealing with my own child can drain my energy. But learning isn't a chore - it's meant to be fun, and looking at it that way, I can see that it's a great way to spend time with family!

Don't have time to finish reading now? Pin for later:

Benefits of Homeschooling Pinterest Image

5. More time outdoors

I believe children need far more fresh air and time in nature than they get in a traditional school environment. I also believe in being active for a full two hours each day, preferably outdoors, for optimal cognitive development to take place. Even if we stay at home, we go outside whenever it's nice, often to read books or do arithmetic in the fresh air.

One of the best parts of Study.com is that it can be done anywhere with the mobile app. They may consider incorporating one of Study.com's lessons into an outdoor nature activity, or even go with you on an adventure or field trip (once the stay-at-home orders are lifted, of course). If you can, you can visit planetariums, aquariums, museums and local farms, among other things for a funky school trip.

6. No more hectic mornings

As hard as I try, getting to school on time in the morning is always hectic. Even when I'm making lunch the night before and laying out her clothes, something unexpected always seems to throw things off balance and prevent me from staying calm. We may be on time, but the morning isn't exactly pleasant.

I believe in getting dressed every day even if I stay at home, but homeschooling mornings are so gentle and comfortable. We enjoy breakfast and first do morning chores together before getting dressed and starting the day's lessons. I have a routine but there is no strict schedule or bell.

7. More opportunities for real learning

Traditional schools are a bubble no matter how much teachers do to help their children learn about the real world. The school has its own culture where large groups of children of the same age spend the day together with a single adult dedicated to education. No doubt this is a wonderful thing, but the truth is that school protects our children to a certain extent. They are less aware of what is happening in their towns and communities or in the world during the hours they spend at school.

Homeschooling is integrated into home life and I have so many opportunities to teach my daughter how to do household chores like cooking and fixing things around the house and help with garden projects like gardening or building a playhouse.

It's not just home either. Once life gets back to normal I will have endless opportunities to take her to museums and expose her to many types of people she wouldn't meet if she spent her days in a classroom and schoolyard.

8. I am the only teacher who loves his student more than anything

As the mother of my child, I am fully concerned with his well-being. There are so many amazing and dedicated teachers I have met in my life so don't get me wrong. I don't think all teachers are apathetic or distracted...but I know some are. Whether it's because their lives are tough or they're just burned out, the fact is kids have the same teacher for nine months. That's a long time to keep one that doesn't fit well. If I can teach my child myself, why take the risk?

Homeschooling is not an easy task and it is not for everyone. But during the coronavirus shutdown, I've learned that it's a great fit for my family.

Jump-start your child's homeschooling success with Study.com's robust homeschooling offerings and programs here.

This article was sponsored by Study.com.

By: 8 Reasons Why I Plan to Homeschool Even After the Pandemic

Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

Spectacular Home Featured on Crazy Rich Asians with Amazing Forest Views!

The Story Behind the #TeachersAreHuman Movement

Contemporary Apartment in Ukraine With Stylish Furniture & Purple Hues by Eno Getiashvili