Dear Parents: We Need Another Word, Because This is Not Homeschooling
Dear Parents: We need one more word because this is not homeschooling
It's one of those things that people now say with a rueful smile and a shrug... "I guess we're all homeschoolers now, right?" Except no. No we are not, and here's why. Online school is not homeschooling. And using the word "homeschooling" for what parents are doing right now devalues the efforts of the people actually raising them.
Homeschooling is one thing; it's just not this thing
Due to the pandemic, millions of children are learning remotely. But some families have chosen homeschool their children for years. Here's a basic definition: Homeschooling is the raising of children at home by their parents. So while many children are at home, the vast majority of them are still being educated from their teachers.
The term that wipes out teachers
When we say we are "homeschooling," when someone else actually has the responsibility for our children's daily learning, we essentially erase that person's meaning. It's as terrifying as listening to a father talk about labor and delivery as if he were the main character. Of course, the whole ordeal was stressful and time-consuming for him. Hopefully he was present, supportive and helpful. But he didn't push the baby out. Parents, if we don't choose the syllabus, write lessons, create schedules, provide direction, and evaluate learning, we're not "pushing the baby out." Our efforts are so very important. But please, let's not take the spotlight by calling ourselves homeschoolers.
Everything we don't do
Thanks to the teachers, I don't worry about what my kids will cover next week or next month; I don't have to keep the big picture in mind at all. I'm not thinking about the milestones that need to be reached by the next quarter. And I don't have to be "on" with my kids every moment, answering questions and coming up with a different way of saying something for a concept to work. At the end of the day, I have the luxury of knowing that my children's education is in someone else's capable hands.
But this is crazy and hard
Yes. Virtual education challenges us in hundreds of ways. We navigate through broken links and confusing platforms. Our big kids slept in until 11am, our little kids are zoom-averse and all just want to be in person with their friends. We try to work while offering academic help. So sure - let's call that something. We are online learning coordinators. We are virtual supervisors of education, heroically repelling chaos. But friends, we don't teach at home.
The real heroes
Teachers, thank you for teaching my children. At my home. through their screens. Thank you for addressing technology headaches a hundred times. Thank you for learning their names and putting all your creative energy into their success. I will support you in any way I can. Choosing my words carefully is the least I can do.
We'd love to hear! How do you feel about the term "homeschooling" in this context? Come and share in our WeAreTeachers HELPLINE group on Facebook.
Plus 10 pandemic parenting problems and how to deal with them.
